I was just sexually assaulted, what should I do?

Remember, it's not your fault. You are not alone.

First, make sure you are in a safe place. Find a place where you are safe from the harm. If you need immediate assistance, call 911 right away, or please go to the emergency room.

Do you have a safe person you can talk to? Who do you have in your life that can provide you with support? Remember, you do not have to disclose this information, however it may be important to have additional support. You can always visit a CARE Advocate for support or utilize a hotline service.

You do have options. Do you want to report this? As a student you have options to report to Title IX (if both parties are a student or part of the UCLA community) and also to UCLA Police. You always have the right to have an Advocate present. You do not have to go alone.

Do you want to get a forensic examination for evidence collection? You can receive this at the Rape Treatment Center in Santa Monica up to five days after an assault. This is to gather any physical evidence if you want to, or may want to file a criminal report. If this is an option for you, preserving as much evidence as you can is helpful. If able, try not to bathe, shower, eat, drink, or brush your teeth. If you have clothes, sheets, etc. you can place them in a brown paper bag for collection. It may be helpful to seek medical attention/preventative care after an assault.

It may be important to check for pregnancy risks or STIs.

Seek out support from a CARE Advocate. They can provide you with resources, options, and emotional support. Remember, it is not your fault.

I am not sure if I want to report, but I feel unsafe on campus.

Sometimes deciding whether or not to report can be difficult. It may be helpful to talk to a CARE Advocate to better understand possible options.

The CARE Advocate can also create a safety plan with you. There are also options such as a No Contact Directive or Stay Away order for students. You can talk to your CARE Advocate about these options, and make an informed decision.

I do not remember everything, can I still report?

Yes, you can still report.

I'm not a UCLA student. Can I access CARE?

UCLA CARE offers advocacy to any current UCLA student, staff, or faculty member. If you do not identify as any of those, but feel like you could be eligible, please reach out at advocate@careprogram.ucla.edu.

You can also go to our "Get Help" tab and scroll down to see a list of community referrals.

I told a UCLA Staff member about my sexual assault, why are people outreaching to me?

Since you are a student, many staff and faculty are considered " responsible employees." If you were to disclose an incident of sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, stalking, or sexual harassment to a staff or faculty member, they may have to report this to Title IX. This includes but is not limited to: professors, resident assistants, nurses, doctors, teaching assistants, advisers, etc.

This does not include the CARE office, Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), or Student Legal Services.

If it is reported to Title IX, you do not necessarily have to move forward with a report. You can talk to a CARE Advocate about your options.

I was assaulted my first year in college, and still see this person on campus. Can I still report?

Yes. You can report this to either UCLA Police or Title IX. You have the option to report to either or both.

If you decide that you want to report to both, it may be helpful to visit an Advocate first, to help you set up an appointment with both UCLA PD and Title IX. That way it lessens the amount of times you have to talk about your experience.

How do I file for a restraining order?

First, it is important to decide which restraining order to file for. If you were in a dating relationship, you would file for a Domestic Violence Restraining Order. Others, would be filed as a Civil Harassment Restraining Order (can include sexual assault, stalking, etc.).

It may be helpful to outreach the CARE Advocate to discuss the process further. Otherwise, UCLA Student Legal Services has two great articles on how to apply for one.

Domestic Violence Restraining Order

Civil Harassment Order

Typically you would go to the Santa Monica Courthouse to file for a restraining order: 1725 Main St. Santa Monica, CA 90401 Room 121 First Floor. They also have legal advocates to support you while filling out your paperwork Monday through Wednesday and Fridays from 8:30am to 11:00am.